Increasingly, consumers are looking for products designed for sensitive skin. In the first half of this two-part series, we shared that as of 2017 the number of women who perceive their skin as sensitive had increased by 4 percent in two years. (Read Part 1 here)
In response to this trend, we have combined our extensive portfolio of functional ingredients to develop almost 100 bath and shower formulations with the sensitive consumer in mind. From a Luxurious Foam Facial Cleanser to a Mild & Gentle Intimate Wash to the Care & Nourish, Ultra-mild Shower Cream, these formulations contain Lubrizol’s mild surfactants, irritation mitigating polymers, rheology modifiers for difficult-to-thicken systems, and humectants and emollients for skin nourishment. Below is a subset of the products we recommend for sensitive skin cleansing applications.
Surfactants for gentle, sulfate-free* cleansing:
- Chembetaine™ CAD surfactant – A 100% coconut-derived, high purity, mild surfactant that builds viscosity, boosts foam, and synergistically reduces irritation when formulated with anionic surfactants.
- Chemccinate™ DSLS-BA surfactant – A naturally-derived, benzoic acid-preserved anionic surfactant that acts as an effective irritation mitigation agent for ultra-mild personal care products.
- Chemoryl™ SFB-4SB surfactant –A robust surfactant blend concentrate that produces a mild, effective cleansing system and good foam properties with the addition of water, fragrance, thickener and preservative. Ideal for color protection shampoos, baby shampoos, bath/shower gels and other mild cleansing products.
- Chemoryl™ SFB-10SSB surfactant – A mild multipurpose surfactant concentrate enabling gentle mild cleansing formulations ideal for baby washes, bubble baths and other mild cleansing products.
*Alkyl and alkyl ether sulfate-free
Polymers to mitigate surfactant irritation and enhance cleanser mildness:
- Carbopol® SMART polymers (1000, 2000) – Versatile and unique nonionic rheology modifiers that reduce irritation in cleansing systems with no negative impact on foaming.
- Carbopol® Ultrez 20 polymer – An easy-to-use, self-wetting polymer that can significantly reduce surfactant irritation in mild cleansers.
- Carbopol® SC-500 polymer – A CFDA-listed polymer that reduces skin irritation from surfactants in mild cleansing chassis.
- Novethix™ L-10 emulsion polymer – An easy-to-use, cold-processible emulsion polymer that reduces skin protein damage potential in certain surfactant chassis.
- Glucamate™ thickeners (DOE-120, VLT) – Naturally derived thickeners that reduce the skin irritancy of cleansing formulations. The VLT can achieve this even at low use levels (0.5%).
- Merquat™ polymers (550PR, 2001, 2003PR, 3330PR, 3940) – Conditioning polymers that reduce skin protein damage potential in various surfactant chassis.
Rheology Modifiers to structure difficult-to-thicken mild or low surfactant systems:
- Carbopol® Ultrez 20 polymer – An easy-to-use, self-wetting polymer and effective thickener for low surfactant systems with excellent electrolyte tolerance for lactic acid and the ability to stabilize low pH systems with high clarity.
- Carbopol® SC-500 polymer – A CFDA-listed rheology modifier that provides excellent thickening efficiency and suspension in difficult-to-thicken, high pH soap-based and sulfate-free surfactant systems.
- Novethix™ L-10 emulsion polymer – A highly efficient rheology modifier designed to structure most cleansing formulations and provide enhanced clarity for low surfactant level formulations.
- Glucamate™ thickeners (DOE-120, VLT) – Naturally derived, anti-irritant rheology modifiers that thicken low surfactant systems with high clarity. The thickeners have good compatibility with different cationic actives and high amphoteric surfactants.
Humectants & Emollients to hydrate, nourish and soothe the skin:
- Glucam™ humectants (E-10, E-20, P-10) – Naturally derived, mild humectants with low irritation potential, making them ideal for use in sensitive skin formulations.
- Glucquat™ 125 humectant – A naturally derived, mild, effective alternative to other harsh conditioning aids. The ingredient provides substantive humectancy and conditioning properties while delivering an extremely light, satiny afterfeel to the skin.
- Hydramol™ TGL ester – An ester that delivers emolliency from the water phase of an emulsion system on contact with skin, exhibiting excellent moisturization and humectant properties.
- Schercemol™ 185 ester - A very mild emollient with a low level of skin and eye irritation, recommended for use in superior skin care products.
Request additional information on functional ingredients suitable for sensitive skin.