Consumers purchase skin care products hoping to achieve beautiful, radiant skin. However, for some the exact opposite is true, with many experiencing itchy, red, irritated skin either from the products they are using or changes in their skin health.
According to the Women’s Facial Skincare Consumer Report 2017 by The NPD Group, 48 percent of women facial skin care users perceived their skin as sensitive, compared to 44 percent in 2015. Additionally, 50 percent are using skin care products that are hypoallergenic/formulated for sensitive skin and fragrance free, compared to 47 percent in 2015.
Whether the increased sensitivity can be attributed to environmental factors, health issues or potential irritants in products, the active ingredients in personal care products can minimize sensitivity.
“For product-related sensitivity, the key is to simplify the number of ingredients in products,” said Caroline Keller, Marketing, North America, Lubrizol Personal Care. “It’s also important to be transparent about ingredients used so the customer can identify known irritants and make the choice that’s best for them.”
With this in mind, Lubrizol Personal Care offers several active ingredients that work to not only reduce irritation, but also provide multiple benefits to enable streamlining product ingredients in hair, skin and bath & shower products. For example:
- ACTIGUARD™ advanced botanical ingredient – An ingredient sustainably obtained from sorghum bran, with anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory phenolic compounds that protect the skin just as the bran protects the grain.
- ACTISMART™ lemon myrtle – A botanical extract that inhibits inflammasome formation and mast cell degranulation, proinflammatory mechanisms that lead to skin sensitivity and itching.
- ACTISOOTHE® advanced botanical ingredient - An extract of mushrooms Cordyceps sinensis and Trametes versicolor with anti-inflammatory properties that can help prevent irritation and relieve overreactive skin.
- ANTARCTICINE® marine ingredient - Obtained through biotechnology from the marine psychrotrophic strain Pseudoalteromonas Antarctica NF3 with cryo-protective properties and restructuring effects that protect from dryness.
- BODYFENSINE® peptide – A tripeptide that reinforces the skin’s natural defense system by stimulating human β–defensin-2 and -3, which contribute to resisting invasion by microorganisms and to wound healing.
- DELISENS™ peptide – A hexapeptide that diminishes PAR-2-induced release of pro-inflammatory mediators, attenuating skin disorders and itch related to neurogenic inflammation, along with helping to restore damaged barrier function.
- FENSEBIOME™ peptide – A heptapeptide that strengthens vulnerable skin by promoting a balanced, diverse and beneficial microbiota, in addition to helping reinforce the barrier function.
- TELANGYN™ peptide – A tetrapeptide that reduces facial redness and telangiectasia caused by an exaggerated inflammatory response.
To request a sample formulation for sensitive skin, hair or bath & shower products, please contact us below.