In the second in a series of posts about how LLS Beauty is developing products to address the issues of diversity in the beauty industry, we explore the topic of “skinclusivity.”
A movement spawned by the long-overdue recognition that our industry has neglected diversity in product development, “skinclusivity” looks to ensure that the needs of all ethnicities, ages and genders are reflected in beauty products.
Skin, hair and cleansing products that were historically developed with a narrow demographic in mind resulted in ingredients and products that were not always beneficial or appealing for all consumers.
For LLS Beauty, skinclusivity means a commitment to testing ingredients on diverse subjects and to developing ingredients and products that do meet their needs. Our Matmarine™ biotech ingredient and Uniclay™ biotech ingredient are examples of that.
Matmarine™ biotech ingredient is a fermentation-based extract that decreases MC5-R levels (marker of sebocyte differentiation directly linked to sebum production) and delays sebocyte differentiation. Uniclay™ biotech ingredient is obtained from a microorganism isolated from a natural clay that mimics the purification benefits clay has on the skin. These two biotechnological ingredients work in a complementary manner to one another to provide cleaner, smoother and more beautiful skin, in different skin types.
After testing on people of diverse ethnicities, Matmarine™ biotech ingredient was proven to improve the appearance of combination and oily skin while keeping it hydrated. Specifically, it was found to:
- Regulate sebum on Asian skin volunteers through a 27.2% decrease of active follicles.
- Decrease shininess and pores in Black skin volunteers through a 20.1% decrease in the appearance of pores.
- Address sebum, shininess and skin pores in White skin volunteers by decreasing the number of pores (20.5%) and their total area (18.8%) after 14 days.
- Minimize pores and moisturize skin in White men.
On the other hand, in a multiethnic panel group, Uniclay™ biotech ingredient was shown to improve the appearance of acne-prone skin:
- Purifies pores by 52.5% in 14 days by reducing porphyrins, which can become lodged in pores and lead to acne.
- Improves skin smoothness by 9.5% and softness by 13.5%.
- Improves well-being and self-perception.