Transdermal patches and other transdermal drug delivery systems can provide numerous advantages over other dosage forms. These benefits can include bioavailability enhancement of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) by circumventing first pass metabolism, increased patience compliance by avoiding other painful or inconvenient delivery systems, and localized, controlled drug release. However, there are challenges associated with these delivery systems, which can include loss of patch adhesion, cold flow, leakage from reservoirs, and drug recrystallization.
LLS Health offers innovative polymer excipients that help prevent or overcome these potential issues. Our Carbopol®
polymers offer many potential benefits for reservoir patches, such as increased skin adhesion (bioadhesion) and temperature resilience. Our medical-grade thermoplastic polyurethanes (TPUs), Tecophilic™
, are ideal for film patch backing. Benefits of our materials include:
- Rheology modification - control flow of reservoir materials and help prevent leakage
- Versatility - compatible with a broad spectrum of APIs
- Bioadhesion - increased adherence to the skin and subsequent bioavailability of APIs
- Temperature resilience – polymer properties are unaffected by temperature shifts
- Low irritancy - improved patient comfort
Tecophilic, Tecothane and Pellethane TPUs
- Biocompatibility – TPUs are non-immunogenic
- Chemical resistance – will not be dissolved or swelled by solvents, acids, or bases
- Abrasion resistance – does not easily split, crack, or degrade
- Processing ease – easily extruded and shaped into any desired shape
- Breathability – allows moisture to pass while maintaining external water resistance
We have been working with materials suitable for transdermal usage for over 50 years and are experts in customizing the properties of films, transport membranes, and gel forming polymers for transdermal uses. Contact us today to learn more!
Our excipients are manufactured under GMPs in ISO:9001 certified facilities, have established DMFs, and have been extensively tested for biocompatibility and safety.
All LLS Health products and services are supported by a knowledgeable Technical Solutions
staff and technical centers around the world dedicated to aiding our clients.
Our CDMO Division
provides a suite of services for the development and manufacturing of nearly all dosage forms, including transdermal patches. We provide excellence in execution and have the infrastructure and capabilities to explore numerous transdermal formats while offering a low-risk pathway to clinic for even the most complex products.