Carbopol® Aqua SF-2 Polymer
Enabling low pH, high clarity cleansers with food grade preservative claims.
Due to the increasingly negative perception of paraben and formaldehyde donor type preservatives, the personal care market is shifting toward the use of food grade preservatives like Sodium Benzoate. These natural preservatives require a pH level near 5.0, which sacrifices desired formulation clarity and flow properties when using currently available rheology modifiers. Carbopol® Aqua SF-2 polymer responds to this market trend by offering rheology modification that delivers high clarity and superior suspension in the 4 to 6 pH range. Now formulators can display colorful beads, sparkling pearls, and exfoliating scrubs while also achieving claims of “paraben-free,” “formaldehyde-free,” “preservative-free,” and even “skin neutral pH”.
Key Formulation Benefits
- Elegant rheology with smooth, honey-like flow
- Very clear surfactant formulations at pH 4 to 6
- Ideal for use with food grade preservatives such as Sodium Benzoate and Sorbic Acid
- High suspension and stabilization of insoluble ingredients, including silicone, oils, emollients
- pH flexibility with “Back-Acid” formulating technique
- Broad surfactant compatibility
- Synergistic thickening with salt
- Enhances pearlescent appearance
- Stabilizes high oil-loaded body wash emulsions
- Compatible with low levels of cationic conditioning ingredients
- Easy-to-use liquid form; cold process
Broad Applications Fit
- Clear bath gels, shampoos and cleansers
- Pearlescent body washes and shampoos
- Body scrubs with suspended microcapsules
- Facial scrubs with exfoliating beads
- Anti-acne facial cleansers with salicylic acid
- Conditioning shampoos
Today, only the brilliant stand out. Unleash your creativity. Give your product the brilliance it needs to move from shelf to shower. At low pH, with the unmatched clarity, suspension, stabilization and flow properties of Carbopol® Aqua SF-2 polymer, your options are limitless.