Lubrizol® 5636 Additive
Lubrizol® 5636 additive is a new generation of emulsifier chemistry that significantly changes the inherent foaming tendency of oil-in-water metalworking fluid emulsions. This product is the result of an extensive research and development effort to deliver technology that effectively controls metalworking fluid foam—one of the biggest fluid performance challenges with the adoption of higher pressure, higher flow rate fluid handling systems on a wide scale in the metalworking industry.
Lubrizol 5636 additive is based on a unique, nonionic oligomeric ester developed specifically for metalworking fluid emulsion systems. The exceptional foam control properties are seen in all water types, and do not rely on the incorporation of typical anti-foam technology based on silicon derivatives.
- Powerful emulsifying properties with low treat rates
- Exceptional emulsion foam control, even in very low hardness water
- Contributes supplemental lubricity to metalworking fluid emulsions
- Outstanding hard water tolerance
- Formulation flexibility—can be used as a complete emulsifier system or as a component of a more elaborate product formulation
- Compatible with all typical fluid enhancements
- Eliminates or reduces need for supplemental antifoam additives which inevitably deplete and add substantial costs and formulation stability challenges
||Clear amber liquid
|Viscosity, 40 ºC
Addressing Market Needs
Foam control of metalworking fluid emulsions is a growing concern for fluid suppliers and end-users. The wider adoption of modern machining practices, especially high speed operations, places greater demand on fluid performance. Modern fluid handling systems are often characterized by high pressures and high flow rates to facilitate the high speed operation.
Additionally, a greater attention to fluid maintenance has led many end-users to recognize that the use of low mineral content / low hardness make-up water sources can contribute significantly to overall fluid life and performance. The use of these pure water sources for emulsions creates an inherently higher foaming tendency than water sources with higher mineral content.
Building emulsion products from Lubrizol 5636 offers fluid suppliers real solutions to the foam control challenges these changing market trends present. These solutions allow end-users to increase productivity with lowered requirements for troubleshooting and correcting foam related fluid problems.
Fluid Enhancement Compatibility
Formulation work has demonstrated excellent compatibility between Lubrizol 5636 and common performance enhancements found in metalworking emulsion products
- Biocides: typical biocide additions are easily incorporated into fluid concentrates with minimal formulation adjustment
- Extreme Pressure Additives: Chlorinated additives are easily emulsified without changing inherent foaming tendency
- Lubricity Additives: SYN-ESTERTM polymeric esters incorporate easily into formulations without changing inherent foaming tendency
Suggested Starting Formulations
|Traditional Soluble Oil
Dramatically reduced foaming tendency compared to typical current emulsifier technology.
|High Performance, High Oil Semi-Synthetic
Micro-emulsion with elevated alkalinity for multi-metal machining—dramatic foaming tendency reduction compared to typical current technology with similar emulsion characteristics.
Recirulation Pump Foam Evaluation
Current Technology vs Lubrizol® 5636