Health, Safety, Environmental and Security
Responsible Care® Management System
As a member of the American Chemistry Council (ACC), Lubrizol subscribes to the principles of Responsible Care®. The ACC created the Responsible Care Management System (RCMS), which requires third-party certification of our Health, Safety, Environmental and Security (HSES) management systems across all business activities. With continual improvement a fundamental goal, implementing RCMS provides a framework to take our company above and beyond prior HSES accomplishments.
- ACC membership requires that a third-party certify a sample of four U.S. sites plus our corporate headquarters to the RCMS or RC14001 technical specification every three years (Lubrizol far surpassed this requirement)
- Between 2008 and 2010 Lubrizol certified all 20 of its U.S. manufacturing facilities and the corporate headquarters
- Lubrizol will re-certify all U.S. facilities and the corporate headquarters again between 2011 and 2013
Although the certification is only required for U.S.-based operations, we've implemented best practices at all facilities around the world. Some countries where our facilities exist require third-party certifications, and we either have or will be meeting those requirements. For the other countries where there is no requirement, we began internal second-party audits following the 2009 completion of the U.S. sites.
Our customers put our products (Lubrizol additives and ingredients) into their final products, which make their way onto store shelves, into industrial equipment and in vehicles for transportation. We test our products for safety. Likewise, government regulations and our customers require that our products be checked to ensure they are in compliance with global chemical-control laws. We have a product compliance management system, "vision," in place to implement best practices. This gives us the ability to enhance our global regulatory compliance and hazard communication services for our customers, employees and communities where we do business.
REACH European Compliance Regulation
The Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of CHemicals (REACH) is Europe's newest compliance regulation. It requires manufacturers and importers to generate data for at least 30,000 substances in European commerce. To support REACH, we completed the pre-registration phase of all eligible substances and assembled a cross-functional REACH Governance Council to manage all aspects of this far-reaching legislation. Currently we are:
- Communicating with customers and suppliers in Lubrizol's supply chain to ensure that all needed end uses are captured for registration purposes
- Compiling hazard data and exposure information in order to complete registration dossiers for those substances
- Developing an IT system to act as a single location for storing all information related to REACH compliance, and to ensure that all supply chain-related functions within Lubrizol factor REACH requirements into their daily decision making
- Preparing to initiate activity on those substances to meet a June 2018 registration date
Learn more about REACH.
Employee Health and Safety
Lubrizol's Standards of Care -- the best policies, procedures and practices that we uphold at our worldwide operations - define Lubrizol's requirements for safety procedures and guidelines. Beyond those are Lubrizol's Elements of Excellence, which are superior practices in safety, health, the environment and security. The goals for these Elements of Excellence:
- Reduce risk, resulting in fewer injuries
- Minimize harm to the environment
- Eliminate incidents that would generate negative community impact
- Increase operational integrity
- Improve profitability
At Lubrizol, security extends far beyond closed gates, locked doors and security badges. You'll find our approach to be not only comprehensive, but proactive. We are proud of the commitments made and efforts taken to keep Lubrizol safe and secure. Highlights include:
- A comprehensive solution that comprises our operating sites, personnel, property, accounts, technologies, proprietary data, transportation, travelers and cyber security
- Affiliation with organizations such as ASIS International (an international security organization) and the American Chemistry Council (ACC)
- Compliance with U.S.-based legislative requirements
- Global security initiative that exceeds ACC requirements
- Close working relationships with law enforcement agencies in many communities
Lubrizol realizes the importance of maintaining cleaner, healthier environments for future generations. The solution includes preventing pollution using the three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. By not producing waste in the first place, Lubrizol saves money. Plus, waste that's never generated doesn't require treated or disposal. Compliance with environmental laws and regulations is considered the minimum for any Lubrizol facility. Even better:
- Environmental programs and policies that fulfill the requirements for verification of our Responsible Care Management System
- Membership in the American Chemistry Council
Process safety involves preventing catastrophic releases of hazardous materials that could result in serious employee injury or fatality. Lubrizol works hard to prevent process safety incidents at every facility by:
- Conducting audits and sharing results with all global facilities
- Ensuring that employees are properly trained (example: process hazard recognition skills)
- Working with our operating sites on process hazard analysis
- Reviewing and assessing areas of concern to mitigate risk
Responsible Care is a registered trademark of the International Council of Chemical Associations.